MOOCs answer multiple objectives and can address students who follow an academic path (teaching unit of Master's programs or graduate schools for instance) or the broader public, in the framework of popular science MOOCs.
MOOCs of the Institut Pasteur are currently recorded in the studios of CNAM and distributed on the French platform,FUN (France Université Numérique). The Institut Pasteur explores other types of formats and partners in order to diversify its MOOC offering.
The Institut Pasteur has already developed several MOOCs and reached between 3 300 and 4 600 learners according to the MOOCs, with a significant share abroad.
The Institut Pasteur has created the following Moocs:
- Concepts and Methods in Epidemiology MOOC, co-directed by Arnaud Fontanet (Unit of Emerging Disease Epidemiology). The third edition of this MOOC occurred in April 2016
- Vaccinology MOOC co-directed by Armelle Phalipon (unit of Molecular microbial pathogenesis) and Frédéric Tangy (unit of Viral genomics and vaccination). The second edition of this MOOC will be launched Dec. 5, 2016, builds on the current Pasteur Vaccinology course
- From neuron to behavior MOOC, co-directed by Pierre-Marie Lledo (Perception and Memory Unit), launched for the first time during spring 2016. This Mooc builds on the Development & Plasticity of the Nervous System course
- Medical entomology MOOC, led by Anna-Bella Failloux (Unit of Arbovirus and insect vectors) and Robert Vincent (IRD), which will be offered on FUN from January 2017
- Diagnosis and prognosis biomarkers in global health MOOC co-directed by Stanislas Pol (Center of Translational Science) and Marie-Astrid Vernet, during the symposium of Institut Pasteur International Network, November 2016.
- Innate Imunity MOOC co-directed by Jean-Marc Cavaillon and Daniel Scott-Algara (Cytokines and Inflammation Unit).
Several MOOCs are under construction and should be available soon:
• Microbes and brain MOOC, co-led by Ivo Gomperts-Boneca (Biology and Genetics of the bacterial wall Unit) and Grégoire Chevalier (Unit Microenvironment and Immunity)
• the Advances in stem cell biology MOOC, co-led by Shahragim Tajbakhsh (Stem cells and development Unit) and François Schweisguth (Drosophila development Genetics Unit)
Moreover two MOOCs were conducted in collaboration with the University of Geneva:
• the In the footsteps of Zika... approaching the unknown MOOC, available on the American platform Coursera since summer 2016. Several sessions of this MOOC, co-organized by the University of Geneva, Institut Pasteur, Paris Descartes University and Virchow-Center Villermé, were filmed at the International Zika summit, held at the Institut Pasteur in April 2016
• The Global Health at the Human-Animal-Ecosystem Interface MOOC, also in collaboration with the University of Geneva, features interviews conducted on the campus of the Institut Pasteur and sequences shot in the field with teams from the Institut Pasteur Network (Hong Kong, Phnom Penh, Tunis). This MOOC will be offered “on-demand” on Coursera in Spring 2017