The Institut Pasteur wishes to increase the audience of its courses and to give access to high-level scientific online courses to a large audience, throughout the world. To do so, the Institut Pasteur is involved in the development of Massive Open Online courses, on various scientific topics. Our MOOCs are scientific and focus on major biological and public health questions. They are aimed at an audience with a broad scientific background: a bachelor of science is generally recommended to follow our online courses.
The Institut Pasteur has been creating MOOCs since 2014 and wishes to increase and diversify its online education offer. MOOCs of the Institut Pasteur are available either on the French platform FUN or on the American platform Coursera (soon available).
Our MOOCs have a very wide and diverse audience, with learners coming from as many as 150 different countries.
The Institut Pasteur has created the following Moocs:
- Human Population and Evolutionary Genetics MOOC, available until December 17, 2019 codirected by Lluis Quintana-Muci and Etienne Patin (Human Evolutionary Genetics Unit).
- Epigenetics MOOC, available until November 8, 2019 directed by Germano (Cecere Mechanisms of epigenetic inheritance Unit)
- HIV Science MOOC, available until February 29, 2020 codirected by Michaela Müller-Trutwin (HIV, Inflammation and Persistence Unit) and Asier Saez-Ciron (HIV, Inflammation and Persistence Unit).
- Advances in Stem cell biology MOOC, codirected by Shahragim Tajbakhsh (Stem cells and development lab - Institut Pasteur) and François Schweisguth (unité de Génétique de développement de la drosophile) now available
- Viruses and Human cancers MOOC, directed by Jean-Pierre Vartanian, (Molecular retrovirology Unit - Institut Pasteur)
- Medical entomology II MOOC , co-directed by Anna-Bella Failloux (Arboviruses and Insect Vectors unit - Institut Pasteur) and Vincent Robert (IRD)
- Resistance to antibacterial agents MOOC, co-directed by Patrick Trieu-Cuot (Biology of Gram-Positive Pathogens Unit), Didier Mazel (Bacterial Genome Plasticity unit) and Béatrice Berçot (Assistance Publique – Hôpitaux de Paris – Paris Diderot University) Concepts and Methods in Epidemiology MOOC, co-directed by Arnaud Fontanet (Unit of Emerging Disease Epidemiology). The third edition of this MOOC occurred in April 2016
- Vaccinology MOOC, co-directed by Armelle Phalipon (unit of Molecular microbial pathogenesis) and Frédéric Tangy (unit of Viral genomics and vaccination). This MOOC, based on the Pasteur Vaccinology course,
- From neuron to behavior MOOC, co-directed by Pierre-Marie Lledo (Perception and Memory Unit), launched for the first time during spring 2016.
- Medical entomology MOOC, led by Anna-Bella Failloux (Unit of Arbovirus and insect vectors) and Robert Vincent (IRD), available online for the first time in February 2017
- Diagnosis and prognosis biomarkers in global health MOOC co-directed by Stanislas Pol (Center of Translational Science) and Marie-Astrid Vernet, available online for the first time in May 2017
- Innate Imunity MOOC, co-directed by Jean-Marc Cavaillon and Daniel Scott-Algara (Cytokines and Inflammation Unit), available online for the first time in February 2017.
- Microbes & Brain MOOC, co-directed by Ivo Boneca (Biology and Genetics of Bacterial Cell Wall Unit) and Grégoire Chevalier (Microenvironment and Immunity unit), available online for the first time in October 2017
Tuberculosis MOOC, co-directed by Howard Takiff, Brigitte Gicquel and Catherine-Pierre Audigier (all in the Mycobacterial Genetics Unit), available online from January 2018
Malaria MOOC , directed by Chetan Chitnis, (Malaria Biology and vaccines Unit)
The Institut Pasteur is also involved in two MOOCs created by the University of Geneva:
- In the footsteps of Zika... approaching the unknown MOOC, available on the American platform Coursera since mid-2016.
- Global Health at the Human-Animal-Ecosystem Interface MOOC,
- which features interviews conducted on the campus of the Institut Pasteur and sequences shot in the field with teams from the Institut Pasteur Network (Hong Kong, Phnom Penh, Tunis). This MOOC is available “on-demand” on Coursera since April 2017.