About us

The library is one of the three divisions of the Institut Pasteur's Scientific Information Resources Center (CeRIS). It specializes in the fields of microbiology, immunology, molecular biology, neurobiology, biochemistry and the history of science. It is open to people from the Institut Pasteur's Paris campus and in the Institut Pasteur International Network. Access may be granted to external users for research purposes. The library has a reading room with space for up to 32 users.

A platform of services and expertise

The Institut Pasteur's Scientific Information Resources Center (CeRIS) is a platform of services and expertise in scientific information to support research and facilitate the Institut Pasteur's missions. It offers guidance on scientific information in a context that is constantly changing.

The CeRIS has three divisions: the library, the picture library and the archives.

 

Its work is based on five pillars:

  • Making available a selection of quality resources for scientists
  • Developing a range of campus-based services

  • Offering expertise in scientific information and anticipating new developments

  • Drawing on a skilled team with expertise that is constantly being honed and updated

  • Providing a congenial venue that lends itself to research

 

 

The library's activities


 

11

people

200,000

volumes

43,000

BOOKS

10,000

EBOOKS

 


 

200

scientific DVDs

7 lineaR kM

of collections

5,000

journal subscriptions

 


 

The library – a long history

1888

Inauguration of the Institut Pasteur. The central library of bacteriology and medicine has its own dedicated space, on the first floor, in a large Louis XIII-style room now known as the Salle des Actes.

1900

The chemistry library is opened in the new Institute of Physiological Chemistry.

1913

The cancer library is opened in the radiophysiology laboratory.

1914-1918

The library's activities are almost entirely suspended during the First World War.

1931

The tuberculosis library is opened in the new building run by Albert Calmette.

1939-1945

The project to refurbish and extend the central library is interrupted by the war.

1960-1970

The library's collections on chemistry and tuberculosis are transferred to the central library.

1980-1990

Lack of space in the central library: the collections are divided over five different premises and many are inaccessible to the public. Several small libraries are run by laboratories and departments, competing with the central library.

1987

A legacy from the Duchess of Windsor is used to build a new facility: the Scientific Information Center.

1994

The central library is transferred to the Scientific Information Center. The reading room occupies a huge space over two floors, and a significant part of the collections is available on an open access basis.

2000

The library changes its name to the scientific media library, incorporating multimedia resources and the picture library.

2016

The scientific media library changes its name to the CeRIS (Scientific Information Resources Center), which is composed of three divisions: the library, the picture library and the archives. The new name emphasizes the fact that the expertise of the CeRIS goes beyond simply offering access to resources.

Contacts

 

Back to top