The Search Committee for Director of the Institut Pasteur invites expressions of interest from potential candidates for the position of Director of the Institute. The Search Committee for Director of the Institut Pasteur welcomes letters of interest accompanied by curriculum vitae. Please send all letters and other inquiries by e-mail to email@example.com. All submissions will be kept strictly confidential. Additional information regarding the recruiting process can be found below.
I. Composition of Pasteur Search Committee (SC)
Chairman of Search Committee :
- Jules Hoffmann
Member of the French Académie des Sciences, Noble Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2011.
Member of the SC:
- Jeremy Farrar
Director of the Wellcome Trust. Professeur of Tropical Medicine at the University of Oxford. Member of the Royal Society. Epidemiology.
- Susan Gasser
Director of the Friedrich Miescher Institute in Basel. Molecular Genetics.
- Gillian Griffiths
Director of the Cambridge Institute of Medical Research. Immunology.
- Jörg Hacker
President of the German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina. Microbiology.
- Gilles Laurent
Director of the Max Planck Institute for Brain Research in Frankfort. Neurobiology.
- Susan Liautaud
Vice Chair of the Court of Governors of the London School of Economics and Political Sciences. Ethics consultant. Member of the Board of Directors of the Institute Pasteur.
- Philippe Sansonetti
Member of the French Académie des Sciences. Professor at the Institut Pasteur. Professor at the Collège de France. Microbiology.
- Artur Scherf
Director of a Research Unit at the Institut Pasteur. Vice President of the Board of Directors of the Institut Pasteur. Parasitology.
- John Skehel
Emeritus Scientist at the Francis Crick Institute. Member of the Royal Society. Chairman of the Institut Pasteur Scientific Advisory Board (PSAB). Virology.
- Antoine Triller
Member of the French Académie des Sciences. Director of the Institut de Biologie de l’Ecole normale supérieure. Member of the Board of Directors of the Institut Pasteur. Neurobiology.
II. Job description of the Director of the Institut Pasteur
List of candidate’s experience and qualities:
- Proven track record of outstanding research and world class reputation as a researcher in a relevant field
- Extensive International experience
- Ability to define and execute a strategic vision for the institute and the international network
- Proven track record managing a large complex international organization
- Experience in establishing effective strategic relationships with industry partners
- Experience in translational research
- Excellent communication skills in French and English
- A reputation for the highest standards of integrity and ethical leadership
- Less than 65 years at the start of the job (four-year term of office; less then 61 for two terms)
III. Process of Recruitment
The SC will organize meetings (visioconferences) to establish a long list of suitable candidates (between 8-12) that will be invited for initial interviews in Paris. Short-listed candidates (2-4 max) will have an opportunity to visit the Institut Pasteur and meet various members of the community prior to the final decision by the Board of Directors. (See process below.)
The SC will inform the Board of Directors at regular intervals of progress on the recruitment procedure.
- Launch of the call for expressions of interest from candidates
- Advertisement in international and national journals and websites (Nature, Science, etc.)
- Solicitation of candidate names from:
- Institut Pasteur Scientific Council
- The Heads of Departments
- The Directors of the International Pasteur Institutes Network
- Scientific personalities at the Institut Pasteur
- Pasteur Scientific Advisory Board (PSAB)
- Leading figures from around the world (for example Director of Crick Institute, Karolinska Institute, Rockefeller University, EMBL, etc.)
- Evaluate potential candidates to determine a short list of 8-12 persons.
- Initial interviews with selected candidates in Paris, then 2-4 candidates will be shortlisted by the SC.
- Shortlisted candidates will visit the Institut Pasteur
o Presentation of candidates to Heads of Departments and Institut Pasteur administration
o Meeting with the Scientific Council
- Appointment of the Director of the Institut Pasteur by the Board of Directors by a majority of 2/3.