Created in 2001, the Centre de Ressources Biologiques de l'Institut Pasteur (CRBIP) is a biobank infrastructure, with a transversal function, which gathers collections of microbial and human specimens from Institut Pasteur. Its missions are to preserve and provide worldwide microbial and human bioresources from historical or recent collections, for research, training and quality control purposes.
CRBIP receives, preserves, characterizes and distributes biological resources in France and internationally, in compliance with safety standards and current laws and regulations.
A recently formalized CRBIP Project Management Office (PMO) manages transverse projects - other than internal research projects - related to valorization, quality, optimization of transverse processes, communication, and user relations.
In agreement with all biobanks, a new strategy for the CRBIP is being implemented since 2020 that renews the CRBIP’s missions to optimize common needs:
ACTIVITIES and SERVICES
- Reception of valuable biological materials deposits.
- Characterization, preservation, and distribution of microbial and human bio-resources.
- Providing the following specialized services:
- Acquisition and distribution of biological resources.
- Lyophilization, production of biomass.
- Optimized sampling and preservation methods of human bio-resources.
- Microbial identification, sequencing, and genomics analyses.
- Offering training, expertise, and consulting services to help you to succeed in your projects and develop the skills of your teams.
NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL NETWORKS
The CRBIP is part of different networks:
- The national 3CR network
- The European Research Infrastructure BBMRI-ERIC (Reference AO 203)
- The European Research Infrastructure MIRRI
- The European, Middle East and Africa Society for Biopreservation and Biobanking, ESBB
- The European Organisation of Culture Collections, ECCO (Collection Officer since 2018)
- The World Forum of Culture Collections, WFCC (Reference 925)
- Collaborator of the WHO
NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL PROJECTS
The CRBIP contributes to several European projects:
- BIGSdb-Pasteur (Genomic taxonomy of bacterial strains: universal nomenclatures for epidemiology and population biology, 2015-)
- EMBRIC (european cluster of Research Infrastructures, 4M €, 2015-2018)
- RI-VIS (project to improve the visibility of Research Infrastructures, 1.5M €, 2018-2020)
- IS_MIRRI21 (project for the consolidation of MIRRI in an ERIC, 4M €, 2020-2023)
- EJP-CARE (CARE: Cross-sectoral framework for quality Assurance Resources for countries in the European Union, 2020-2022)
- HoloZcan (development of a novel holographic microscopy and imaging technology for rapid screening of potential biological threats, 4.4M €, 2021-2024)
- ISIDORe (integrated services for epidemiological research, 21M, 2022-2025)