This intensive course is intended for medical and public health professionals involved in field investigations of infectious disease outbreaks. The course will provide professionals with a thorough approach of the methods of outbreak investigation of emerging and re-emerging pathogens including Ebola Virus Disease, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus, Plague, Avian Influenza subtype H5N1, pandemic influenza, enterovirus 71, and others.
This course will cover methods and processes used to detect, investigate, interpret and report on infectious disease outbreaks and include wide ranging topics from preparing to respond to an emerging threat, implementing multi-disciplinary field investigations, analyzing and interpreting results from field studies, to communicating results to different partners.
This one-week course will include a combination of lectures and real-world practicals provided by experts at Institut Pasteur Paris, the Institut Pasteur International Network, the World Health Organization and other international agencies. Topics to be covered include:
- Field epidemiology (study designs and outcomes expected)
- Planning for field investigations (development of protocols, assembling a team, developing standard operating procedures, logistics planning, hiring teams, if necessary, ethical approvals)
- Partnerships in field investigations
- Questionnaire development and data collection
- Biological sample collection and laboratory testing
- Implementation of outbreak investigations
- Data entry and statistical analysis – from basic to advanced
- The use of mathematical modeling during outbreaks
- Report/presentation preparation for local partners
- Manuscript writing for peer-reviewed journals
Participants must have a post graduate degree in epidemiology, microbiology, medicine, public health or a related discipline and some experience in field work of infectious diseases.
The committee of the course will evaluate applications.
Only people from the Institut Pasteur Network are eligible to the course and the course is free of charge.
Maria Van Kerkhove
Center of Global Health
Institut Pasteur Paris
HKU - Pasteur Research Pole
A. Fontanet (Institut Pasteur),
M. Lucas-Hourani (Institut Pasteur),
S. Malot (Institut Pasteur),
M. Peiris (HKU-Pasteur Research Pole),
V. Ponticelli (Institut Pasteur)
M. Sala (Institut Pasteur),
M. Van Kerkhove (Institut Pasteur)
H. Waxin (Institut Pasteur)