- Institut Pasteur
- Support us
Joint International Call for Applications
Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie - Institut Pasteur
for candidates to head 4-year research groups
within the Institut Pasteur International Network
Closing date for applications: January 31st, 2017
The Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF) and Institut Pasteur wish to strengthen their collaborations in the areas of research, training and teaching, especially in Sub-Saharan Africa and Southeast Asia.
AUF and Institut Pasteur are jointly launching an international call for applications for young researchers in the life sciences who wish to create 2 research groups within the Institut Pasteur International Network (RIIP):
· One G4 in Sub-Saharan Africa (Cameroon, Guinea, Madagascar, Niger, Senegal and Central African Republic) or in Southeast Asia (Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam). The young scientist leading the group must propose a multidisciplinary, innovative and ambitious international research program in infectious, tropical or neglected diseases.
· One G4 within the Institut Pasteur in Côte d’Ivoire in the field of biomarkers of chronic hepatitis and primary liver cancer. Chronic hepatitis, cirrhosis and primary liver cancer (mostly hepatocellular carcinomas), related to chronic Hepatitis B and C infections or other etiological factors, represent a major public health problem in African countries at large and in Côte d'Ivoire in particular. Biomarkers that might reliably indicate the stage and predict the evolution of the liver disease would be of major value for the implementation of the most appropriate and efficient measures for patients' management.
The projects should involve national and international member universities of AUF in order to strengthen the latter in their research and training roles. This involvement will take the form of training Master’s and Doctoral students hosted by the G4 and/or participating in research conducted by lecturer-researchers from the partner university or universities. The research subjects will be defined in collaboration with the university and the RIIP’s institute teams.
The candidate has international post-doctoral experience (3-8 years maximum after the PhD).
Selection criteria for the proposal
1. The quality of the project proposed;
2. The development of a new skill to benefit the host establishment;
3. Inclusion of the project in the research objectives of the country of the RIIP member institute in which the G4 will be established;
4. The cooperation planned with research institutes and universities at local, regional and international level;
5. The feasibility of the project submitted (appropriate funding, achievable actions).
Selection criteria for the applicant
• Holds a doctoral degree;
• Has international post-doctoral experience (3-8 years);
• Shows high quality scientific results with very good publications of an international standard;
• Has obtained contracts for funding and research as principal investigator of a project or part of a project;
• Has the ability to manage and train young scientists;
• Participates in teaching activities at the partner university in the project;
• Open to all nationalities;
• Is resident in a country other than the country of the establishment hosting the G4, or has been resident in the latter for less than two years, having possibly been already recruited as a lecturer-researcher in an AUF member university.
A candidate simultaneously recruited as a lecturer-researcher in a partner university, or who has been recruited within the last two years, will be eligible for this competition, provided that, for the 4 years of the project (G4), s/he can be partly relieved of his/her teaching duties to lead the G4; in this event, the university will be paid compensation. In the event that s/he has not been recruited by a university, the G4 leader will have an identified counterpart within the partner university or universities for the joint supervision of master’s and doctoral students and science seminars.
Conditions of funding
Candidates selected will be appointed head of a research group for 4 years. Successful candidates will receive start-up funding that may include salaries for the head of the group, engineers, technicians and doctoral students (budget dedicated to salaries cannot exceed 50% of the start-up funding), basic laboratory equipment and an operating budget. Candidates will have access to the facilities of the host Institute. It is assumed that the young researcher will obtain fresh funding needed to maintain his/her group for the longer term.
• mid October 2016: launch of the Call for Applications
• January 31st, 2017: closing date for applications
• End of March 2017: decision of the Steering Committee
Applications are completed exclusively online on the dedicated platform: http://g4.pasteur-international.org
Contact: Eliane Coëffier