Call for Candidates to head 5-year groups in Microbiology and Virology
To strengthen its basic research in microbiology, and to improve its preparedness to respond to newly emerging infectious agents, Institut Pasteur calls for applications by outstanding young microbiologists to head Young Investigators Groups called Five Year Groups (G5).
The nominees will join the Laboratory of Excellence (LabEx) programme called, "Integrative Biology of Emerging Infectious Diseases" (IBEID)(http://www.pasteur.fr/labex/ibeid). They will benefit from the cutting edge interdisciplinary environment provided by the Institut Pasteur in Paris and by the LabEx.
Examples of subject priorities in microbiology include molecular mechanisms of resistance to antibiotic, regulatory mechanisms of gene expression in bacteria, and mechanisms of homeostasis and communication in complex microbial communities. In virology, priority will be given to projects addressing viruses with strong potential for emergence, such as arbovirus.
However, all aspects of microbiology and virology will be considered, and outstanding candidates with an ambitious and original basic research project are strongly encouraged to apply.
The deadline for applications is December 15th, 2012. Short-listed candidates will be called for interview in January 2013 and decisions will be announced by March 30.
General conditions and applications. Candidates must have defended their PhD thesis after November 30, 2004. Successful candidates will be appointed as head of a group of up to 6 people for a period of 5 years. The budget includes the salary for the group leader (if necessary), a three-year postdoctoral position, a technician, part-time secretarial assistance, basic laboratory equipment, a substantial contribution to running costs and essential large equipment, and access to on-campus facilities including state-of-the-art technology platforms.
Candidates should send their formal applications by E-mail to the Director of Scientific Evaluation, Prof. Alain Israël, at the Institut Pasteur (25, rue du Dr. Roux, 75724 Paris, France; email@example.com).
The Application shall comprise the following (in order) in a single pdf file:
1. A brief introductory letter (candidates are encouraged to contact the coordinators of the LabEx, Pascale Cossart (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Philippe Sansonetti (email@example.com))
2. A Curriculum Vitae and a full publication list.
3. A description of past and present research activities (up to 5 pages with 1.5 spacing).
4. The proposed research project (up to 10 pages with 1.5 spacing) and how it would fit in the defined topic.
5. The names of 3 scientists from whom letters of recommendation can be sought, together with the names of scientists with a potential conflict of interest from whom evaluations should not be requested.