presentation of the platform
The goal of the platform 6 (PF6) is to provide research teams working in the field of macromolecular crystallography at and out side the Institut Pasteur with the expertise and technology required for automated crystallogenesis, computing and X ray diffraction measurements. Funding from the Genopole®Ile de France, the French Ministry of Research, the European Commission, GIS-IBISA and Institut Pasteur has allowed us to make significant investments in equipment during the period 2002-2010. This equipment provides complete automation for crystallogenesis, and X-ray facilities for crystal screening and data collection. As a service facility, each year more than 500 different protein samples were submitted to automated crystallization assays. Most of these samples (about 80%) originated from crystallographic research groups at Pasteur in the department of Structural Biology & Chemistry and the department of Virology. The remaining 20% originate from outside Pasteur (Institut Curie, CEA-Saclay and Université Paris 13).
Automated system for crystallization service :
- The Tecan workstation Gemini 150 for liquid handling.
- The Synquad (CARTESIAN) nanodispenser to setup sitting drop crystallization screenings (100 or 200 nanoliters).
- The MOSQUITO robot can be used for the sitting or hanging drops (varying from 100 to 1000nl).
- The MATRIXMAKER robot can automatically design the desired crystallization screens on different supports (50 ml tube, 15 ml tube, 96 deep-well block or 24 wells VDX plate).
X-ray diffraction service :
- A RIGAKU micromax 007 X-ray generator with standard rotating anode (wavelength 1.54 Å).
- A system of multi-layer X-ray optics from OSMIC.
- A mar345dtb image plate X-ray detector from MARESEARCH.
- A Cryo-system from OXFORD INSTRUMENTS to collect diffraction data at liquid nitrogen temperature.
With this system, users can answer several questions :
- Are my crystals proteins or salts?
- What is the unit cell or the space group of my crystal?
- What is the best cryo-solution to freeze my crystal?
It is also possible to collect complete data-sets for native proteins crystals.